Thursday 10 January 2008

Blogging

Have not had much time online recently - far too many meetings at school to attend but have found myself reading lots of other blogs of late and has made me think quite deeply something I'm not often good at.

It all started when Dave Walker made a facebook group for Anglican bloggers. Now I would only call myself an Anglican in the very loosest sense of the word but the group lets you post your blog address and I have really enjoyed reading a few peoples blogs. One day will get around to adding some of them to my list.

Reading these blogs has however got my blood pressure raised at all the discussion about liberal versus conservative versus evangelical labelling - it is not good. See here and here.

Jesus didn't give himself labels so why are we giving them to ourselves? I love and follow Jesus is that not enough?

How does having these labels help us to be more releavnt to 21st century Britain?

My thinking is it doesn't.

Does having these discussions and arguements bring people closer to the kingdom of God?

Hmm.

And as for this terrible story about Elaine Storkey suing Wycliffe because of the way she was sacked, well I just can't believe it but you can read it here and see for yourself.

Well I've blogged but I'm not happy, I'm off to see what the Bible has to say about how we deal with other people....

2 comments:

Mike Peatman said...

Absolutely with you on labels, Hannah. Right through from Theol college I have avoided accepting any. Trouble is, people sometimes assume I think certain things which I actually don't. So I don't intend to walk around saying "I am a liberal evangelical" but if people want some idea of the kind of answers I might give on certain questios, that's the best descriptor I can come up with in two words!

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

I think that it is just a sad part of human nature.

We always seek out people "just like us" to hang around with and unfortunately this also happens in the Church. I think with Anglican history it is not surprising, but that isn't to say that I think it is ok. The trouble is that people can get quite defensive when people say or do things that challenge or oppose their position.

We can talk about trying to seek a more authentic model of Church, but this is sadly naive because each faction, at least to some extent even if they don't admit it, believe that theirs is the right model.

Not to attach yourself to a particular label is admirable but at the same time, there will be times when you find yourself standing in opposition to a brother or sister in Christ, and unfortunately they are most often applied by people about you rather than something you apply to yourself.

Much love from a Bible-loving, Spirit-seeking, liberal and conservative (depends which side of the bed I get out of), Anglo-Catholic.