Tuesday 11 September 2007

Equip and Refresh

A few weeks ago I was very surprised to be asked to be a small group leader at the up coming Alpha course at All Saints. Having done most Church related jobs/groups in the past few years you may be surprised to know I've only ever attended Alpha once a very long time ago and have managed to avoid any other involvement until now!!

Anyway my church along with some others organised this course in Preston on Saturday for people involved in Alpha and away I went to find oput what lies ahead of me!
Two things most struck me from the day:

1. It was really good to meet in a Catholic Church with Christians from all denominations and beliefs and be united in one goal of seeking how best to tell other people about Jesus and give them an opportunity to explore our faith. Perhaps this is where Church is at its best in these events, where we're united not divided.

2. Having been pondering 'times of ministry' following Mike's blog see here, was greatly impressed with the time of ministry led by Bishop Geoff of Lancaster which was quiet, reflective, sensitive and thoughtful. Was priviliged to be able to pray for people (was roped in at the last minute) but also encouraged that a Bishop was encouraging people to be actively filled with and seeking the Holy Spirit for help and strength.

Also enjoyed the day as it gave me chance to get to know some new people and learn about the logistics of Alpha, now I'm feeling a bit better prepared for my first training session tomorrow night.

No comments: