Monday 19 April 2010

Rotine Routine Routine

During the many long months of waiting for baby boyd to arrive in the world Mr B and me decided that we were going to be laid back in our approach to routine with baby boyd. That we would have routine when needed but not follow it to the minute of the hour and thus get rid of normal life and activities. This we have done, baby boyd goes everywhere and anywhere quite happily: church services and meetings, choir concerts, people's houses she has even been to her first hen party!!

But during the first week of the Easter holiday I noticed I was feeling bereft and missing something and what was it? Routine!! Somehow gradually over days and weeks left at home by ourselves routine has developed and emerged, it's not rigid, it's quite fluid really but we have it and we enjoy it and boy did I miss it. Last week we were away in the north east (that's a whole other story) and routine was no where to be found and we were all suffering without it!! So yesterday with half a mind on establishing some kind of fluid routine and the other half of my mind aware that looming vaguely on the horizon is my return to work and the need for baby Boyd to perhaps go to bed before 10pm so that I can at least pretend to be a teacher I designed a new but fairly strict routine of feeding and sleeping times.

Things have gone well on the first day of routine, I was feeling pleased but I knew it couldn't last and I was right. So as I write this baby Boyd is wailing and feeling sorry for herself abandoned to her cot at 8pm when normally she has the run of her gym downstairs and the attention of both parents. I wonder when she'll go to sleep??!! But it's good to have routine back with us again.

No comments: